Burritos are a favorite in many places around the world and once people discovered how simple it is to make, it became even more popular. Let your instant pot also help you with this one and make a simple, tasty meal even simpler to prepare. The whole family can be part of this exercise by coming to the kitchen to fill up and roll their own burritos — so, bring fun back to the kitchen and let your kids help you!
Preparation: 10 Minutes
Cooking time: 30 Minutes
Quantity: 8 servings
The burrito filling:
- 1 can black beans (drained, rinse)
- 1 ½ cups brown rice
- 1 ½ cups corn
- 1 cup kale (finely chopped)
- 1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 tsp cumin (ground)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil for sautéing
- 350g salsa (as hot as you’d prefer)
- 2 cups of water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 burrito sized flour tortillas (25 – 30cm)
- 3 cups butter lettuce (chopped)
- 2 avocados (chopped)
- Optional: salsa, chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, jalapenos,
vegan sour cream, vegan cheese shreds
- Set your instant pot to its sauté function on medium heat
- Put the olive oil, onion, garlic, and red pepper in the instant pot and cook for 3 minutes while continuously stirring
- After the onions are soft, switch off the instant pot and add the black beans, brown rice, corn, kale, and spices to the instant pot. Stir to mix the contents.
- Close and seal the instant pot and set on its manual function on its highest heat setting for 25 minutes.
- Once the timer has sounded, let the pressure release naturally from the instant pot. Carefully remove the lid. Stir the contents and add salt and pepper as needed.
- To assemble the burritos: Spoon some of the mixtures in the instant pot onto the center of the tortilla. Top the filling with the amount of lettuce, avocado, and other optional ingredients you chose. Fold two sides over the filling and roll up the burrito.