Craving for delicious hearty coconut bread, while you are on a diet, is now possible with its gluten-free version. It’s a delectable treat for your family and friends during breakfast and afternoon tea.
This gluten-free coconut bread is ideal for people who are on a diet or concerned with their glycemic index (GI) and people with diabetes and celiac disease. With that, let’s enjoy this healthy recipe.
Preparation Time: 18 minutes
Cooking Time: 80 – 95 minutes
Total Time: 98 – 113 minutes
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup of sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup of tapioca starch
- 1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar-free coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups or 192 grams of white rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of kosher salt
- Non-stick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons or approximately 5.9 grams of baking soda
- 4 large eggs
- A teaspoon of coconut extract
- Place a baking rack inside the oven.
- Preheating the oven to 350-degree Fahrenheit
- Set up a 9×5-inch loaf pan with a baking sheet or parchment paper, which should extend on long sides.
- Coat the parchment sheet with the non-stick spray.
- Toast the unsweetened shredded coconut ingredient on a rimmed parchment paper or baking sheet.
- Occasionally toast it until it becomes lightly browned for about 5-7 minutes.
- Let it cool.
- Vigorously whisk or stir the 1 1/2 cups of white rice flour, ¾ cup of tapioca starch, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda, ¾ teaspoon of kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon of xanthan gum in a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix the 1 1/2 cups of sugar and the 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened coconut milk with the teaspoon of coconut extract, if you have one, in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat the mixture using an electric mixer, set on medium speed, until the sugar gets dissolved and the texture is smooth for about 4 minutes.
- Add the four (4) large eggs into the mixture, one by one, beating each egg well until the mixture is very smooth for about 2 minutes.
- Reduce the speed of your electric mixer to low.
- Blend other dry ingredients.
- Increase electric mixer’s speed to medium.
- Beat the batter or mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Also, beat in the toasted unsweetened shredded coconut in the batter.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, adding 1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes on the top.
- Bake the bread for about 80-95 minutes until you see the top bounces or springs back when you gently pressed it or when a few moist crumbs stick to the tester after inserting it to the bread.
- Transfer the pan to the wire baking rack and let your bread cool down in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Turn out or move your baked gluten-free coconut bread onto the rack.
- Let it cool completely.
And voila! You’re ready to enjoy the delectable treat.