Hitting all the flavors that we all crave for a sumptuous weeknight dinner is this delightful “Steak and Rice Noodle Salad.” This knock-out treat will give you a smack of pungency with its hard-hitting tang of chilies, lusciously mixed with a knack of delicious beef and crisp vegetables.
Completing the tasty plate is a punch of sweetness from the nectarous honey. So, let’s take a plunge and have a flavorsome weeknight treat from this heart-healthy recipe.
Preparation Time: 60 minutes
Cooking Time: 17 minutes
Total Time: 77 minutes
- 6-ounce or about 170-gram of wide rice noodles
- Three(3) small pieces of Serrano chilies
- 3-tablespoon of honey
- 1/2 pound of skirt steak
- 1 piece of a 6-inch peeled and thinly sliced daikon
- 3-tablespoon of fish sauce
- 2-piece of thinly sliced mini seedless cucumbers
- Kosher salt
- 1/2-sized of a small head coarsely chopped Napa cabbage
- 1 small-sized of garlic clove
- 2-tablespoon of divided vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup and 2-tablespoon of fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup or more of thinly sliced roasted or grilled, salted nuts
- 1/2 cup or more of finely chopped mint leaves
Marinating the steak:
- Remove the seeds from the two (2) of the three (3) small pieces of Serrano chilies. You can add more chilies to intensify the spice.
- Finely mince the third chili on a cutting board.
- Thinly slice you small-sized garlic clove.
- Sprinkle over a pinch of kosher salt.
- Mash the chilies and garlic together with the chef’s knife’s flat side on a cutting board.
- Alternate the chopping and mashing of the chilies and garlic together until it becomes a coarse paste.
- Transfer the mashed chilies and garlic into a large bowl.
- Add the 1/4 cup and 2-tablespoon of fresh lime juice, 3-tablespoon of fish sauce, 3-tablespoon of honey, and a tablespoon of vegetable oil into the bowl.
- Mix or stir vigorously to liquefy the honey.
- Place your half-pound of skirt steak in a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour over 3-tablespoon of the dressing, while holding back the pieces of chili using a spoon.
- Reserve the remaining dressing in the bowl.
- Marinate the steak.
- Turn it around in approximately every minute.
- You can marinate the steak for ten (10) minutes at least, or thirty (30) minutes maximum. You may opt for an hour or 60 minutes, depending on your preference.
Preparing the noodles:
- While marinating, boil a medium-sized stew pot or casserole of salted water.
- Remove the boiling pot from heat.
- Add the 6-ounce or about 170-gram of wide rice noodles into the boiling salted water.
- Cover it.
- Let it sit while stirring it every minute for about 5 to 8 minutes to keep the noodles from sticking together. One trick to prevent the noodles from sticking to one another is to add vegetable oil in the pot.
- When the noodles become al dente or firm when bitten, like when you prepare for pasta, you can drain the water and rinse the cooked noodles under your faucet with cold running water.
- Make sure that strained the noodles immensely well.
- Set it aside.
Mixing the vegetable salad:
- Combine the 1/2-sized small head coarsely chopped Napa cabbage, the 6-inch peeled and thinly sliced daikon, and the two pieces of thinly sliced mini seedless cucumbers in a large bowl.
- Lightly season the mixture with salt.
- Massage or rub it down with your hands to remove excess water.
- Drain off or remove any water that forms at the bottom of the bowl.
Cooking the steak:
- Pat to dry the steak.
- Lightly season the steak with salt.
- On a medium-high level, heat the other tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet or frying pan.
- Add the steak.
- Cook it.
- Turn the steak once until you see it becoming brown all over.
- Sear or fry each side of the steak for about 4 minutes to make its texture medium-rare.
- Let the steak rest for a while, for about 5 minutes to cool it down.
- Cut it into pieces.
Making the “Steak and Rice Noodle Salad:”
- Place the cabbage-daikon-cucumber mixture in the bowl of the reserved dressing.
- Add the noodles and steak.
- Put the 1/2 cup or more of finely chopped mint leaves and roasted, salted peanuts.
- Toss the mixture all together.
- Taste it.
- You may season it with a pinch of kosher salt if needed.
- Top it more with chopped mint leaves and peanuts before serving.
Ta-da! You can now savor your delicious “Steak and Rice Noodle Salad” with a glass of red wine.